Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status (I-539)

If you are currently in the United States on a visitor or other type of temporary visa and would like to change to F-1 student status in order to study at Albizu University, you will need to file an Application to Extend/Change Nonimmigrant Status (Form I-539) with the U.S. Citizenship and Immigration Services (USCIS).

Click here to download the I-539 form and review the accompanying instructions. You will need to mail the form and the associated fee to the address specified in the instructions. For an overview of the process, including contact phone numbers and addresses, see the helpful booklet prepared by USCIS, which you can find here.

You may wish to send a letter to USCIS along with the form to provide an overview of your situation. Click here to view a sample change of status letter.

If you are already studying at a U.S. academic institution under an F-1 visa and would like to transfer to Albizu University, there is no need for you to change your visa status.  Please click here for more information on transferring from your current university to Albizu.

San Juan location
151 Calle Tanca San Juan, PR 00901
Phone: (787) 725-6500 Fax: (787) 721-7187
Miami location
2173 NW 99th Avenue Miami, Florida 33172 Phone: (305) 593-1223 Fax: (305) 592-7930
Centro Mayaguez
56 Calle José De Diego, Mayagüez, P.R. 00680 Phone: (787) 838-7272 Fax: (787) 721-7187
  • American Psychological Association
  • American Speech-Language-Hearing Association
  • Middle States Association of Colleges and Schools
  • Commission for Independent Education