Why Carlos Albizu University?
Now that you have just made your decision to complete a career, you are now wondering which is the best University for you. Well, look no more. Here, at Carlos Albizu University we offer an enriching and challenging academic environment that is right for you with exciting and challenging programs in Psychology, Education, and Speech and Language. We have a diverse student body of over 2,000 students at our campuses in San Juan and Miami. The Carlos Albizu faculty, administrators, and staff promote the professional development of students, as they prepare themselves to assume responsible and productive roles in our society.
Here are the Top Ten Reasons to choose Carlos Albizu University:
1. Academic Excellence: Founded in 1966, Carlos Albizu was established as the first professional school of psychology in North America and the Caribbean.
- The University is accredited by the Middle States Commission on Higher Education (MSCHE)
- Its Clinical Psychology programs are accredited by the American Psychological Association (APA)
- According to the National Science Foundation, Carlos Albizu University is ranked among the top five U.S. universities in conferring doctoral degrees to Hispanics
- The Master of Science in Industrial and Organizational Psychology was ranked as the best program in Florida and the Southeastern U.S. and ranked third in the nation based on an independent student survey
- The doctoral program in Industrial/Organizational Psychology was recognized as one of the best 20 programs in the US
- The Clinical Psychology PhD Program in San Juan received the Example of Excelencia recognition by Excelencia in Education in 2011, the only institution in Puerto Rico to be bestowed this award.
2. Our Sense of Community Service and On-Site Practical Training: Through the three clinics
- The Master of Science Program in Speech and Language Pathology is accredited by the American Speech-Language-Hearing Association (ASHA).
in Miami and San Juan and external practicum sites, our students have the opportunity to apply the clinical skills acquired in their didactic training while providing mental health and speech and language services to the community, under the supervision of licensed psychologists and pathologists. Students, training to become practitioners in the fields of psychology and speech and language communication, provide no- charge services or low-fee services to more than 20 thousand members of their communities.
3. Our Faculty: Unlike larger universities, our courses are taught by professors who are both academicians and active in their fields of expertise, not by teaching assistants.
4. Our Small Classes: We know our students by name, and understand their needs and interests. Our faculty members are mentors who will help you attain your degree and pursue your career goals, making it easy for students to ask questions and interact with them, instead of falling unnoticed in the back of a lecture hall.
5. Convenience and Location: The San Juan Campus is located in Old San Juan, at the center of the capital of Puerto Rico, and is surrounded by historic buildings, museums, restaurants, plazas and a variety of businesses that make students’ life more pleasant and interesting. For our students’ convenience, there are also parking lots and other amenities at a walking distance from the campus.
The Miami Campus is strategically located in Miami Dade County, City of Doral, Florida, an area rich in multicultural diversity and laden with the complex socioeconomic and psychosocial realities that accompany such diversity. This campus has been in a forefront position in training students who can respond to the needs and demands of a multi-ethnic population. Considered the most multi-ethnic city in the United States, Miami is a vibrant, thriving city which offers students an exciting life outside the campus. Whether it is people watching or partying in world-famous South Beach, visiting museums, attending cultural events or dining at one of its ethnic restaurants, Miami offers endless opportunities.
6. Our Diversity: Designed for students of all cultural and ethnic backgrounds, the programs at Carlos Albizu University provide students with a rich exposure to culturally diverse populations through its academic training and applied experiences. At Carlos Albizu University, we welcome and respect diversity. Our University is ranked among the top five U.S. Universities in conferring doctoral degrees to Hispanics.
7. Academic Programs of Excellence: Carlos Albizu University offers Bachelors in Speech and Language Therapy (San Juan), Education (Miami), and Psychology (San Juan and Miami) designed to prepare students for careers in these fields. The graduate level programs in Master of Science in Counseling Psychology and Speech and Language Pathology (San Juan) , and Industrial/Organizational Psychology (San Juan and Miami) as well as the doctoral programs in clinical psychology (San Juan and Miami) provide excellent training that integrates theory and practice within a multicultural framework.
8. Affordability: More than 75 percent of our students receive financial aid in the form of grants, loans, or on-campus employment. Financial Aid and scholarships are available to those who qualify.
9. Practical Experience: Program curricula are designed to provide practical experience to our graduate students almost since the beginning.
10. Flexibility: Carlos Albizu University offers morning, afternoon, evening, and night classes. Online classes and programs are also available.