As a graduate student at Albizu University, you may be eligible to receive financial aid in the forms of student loans, scholarships, and/or work-study to help you pay for your education.
Grants are a possible source of funding for your education. Grants are funds awarded based on various criteria depending on the funding source and do not have to be repaid. This aid is similar to scholarships.
At Albizu University, you may qualify for the federal and state grants below:
- SDS (Scholarship for Disadvantage Students) (San Juan campus only)
- Other state grants
For more information, go to:http://studentaid.ed.gov/types/grants-scholarships/
Student loans are an alternative funding source for your education. There are a variety of student loans for you to consider. The difference between loans and other forms of funding is that you are required to repay your loans and this often includes interest.
At Albizu University, there are a variety of student loans below to get you started:
- Direct Unsubsidized Loan
- Graduate Plus Loan
- Private Loans (if necessary)
For more information, go to http://www2.ed.gov/offices/OSFAP/DirectLoan/index.html
The Work-Study Program offers jobs for graduate students with financial need, allowing them to earn money to help pay education expenses. At Albizu University, you may be eligible for this type of financial aid. The Work-Study application is available upon request at the Financial Aid Office.
Steps for Financial Aid
1. APPLY FOR FINANCIAL AID
In order to apply for Financial Aid, you must submit the following documents by the stated deadlines:
- Free Application for Federal Student AID (FAFSA) by going to this website www.FAFSA.ed.gov. The school code for Albizu University-San Juan Campus is 010724 and for the Miami Campus is E00616. You are required to complete the FAFSA to apply for Title IV grants as well as student loans. The information received from your FAFSA is the official indicator used by the school in order to grant any federal, state and/or institutional aid. In order to complete your FAFSA you must use your most recently submitted IRS tax return form. If you apply electronically on FAFSA on the Web or Renewal FAFSA on the Web, you can use a PIN to sign your application. You can obtain a PIN before you begin the application process by applying at www.pin.ed.gov.
- Albizu University Office (AU) Application
- Proof of Citizenship (if requested)
- Other documents as requested by the Financial Aid Office
2. ENTRANCE INTERVIEW
If you are applying for a Federal Student Loan, the first step is to complete an entrance interview. In order to do that, go to www.studentloans.gov. You also need to complete the Master Promissory Note at www.studentloans.gov.
3. BE ADMITTED
All applicants must be academically admitted to Albizu University as a degree-seeking student.
4. RECEIVE FINANCIAL AID AWARD
- Awards are made based on projected enrollment listed on the Albizu University Office Application.
- You must be enrolled in at least half-time status (not including repeated courses) in order to be eligible for financial aid. (Exceptions: Dissertation and Internship)
- You must maintain satisfactory academic progress.
- If you receive financial aid not shown on the award notice, you must report it to the Financial Aid Office as an adjustment may be required.
- If your award letter includes a direct loan, you may expect disbursement of the awarded amount less origination fees (approximately 3 %).
- You may cancel all or a portion of your financial aid award by providing written notice to the Financial Aid Office.
5. DISBURSEMENT OF FINANCIAL AID
Institutionally controlled financial aid (federal and institutional grants, scholarships, and Direct Student Loans transmitted by EFT) will be credited to your student account as soon as an enrollment audit has been completed, aid adjustments have been made, and funds have been received (usually between the third and eighth week of the session). Awards are adjusted according to enrollment status.
- Federal Work-Study Program funds will be paid to you bi-weekly for the actual hours worked.
6. REIMBURSEMENT OF FINANCIAL AID
If total financial aid disbursed exceeds direct charges for a session, you may receive a reimbursement check or electronic transfer for the remaining balance. These are processed by the Finance Office.
Students are responsible of notifying the Finance Office of any address changes.
We are here to help you with your financial aid needs as you pursue your educational goals.