This course provides the learners with a global perspective of the field of exceptional education issues and trends .The content knowledge of the course addresses practical and functional strategies and concepts such as today’s issues in special education, diagnostic, assessment, identification and placement, the IEP, types of exceptionalities, parental involvement, inclusion, effective instructional strategies and current practices to meet the needs of the ESE students in the general education setting. The aforementioned will enable the students to draw from their achievement and subsequently apply those skills in the daily delivery of services to the special education students placed in the general education classrooms.
This course will address current issues and trends in special education from its beginnings, the laws, IDEA, ESEA, and exceptionalities in diverse, multicultural, and multiethnic communities. Causes, characteristics, educational and social implications, professionals, and family dynamics will be addressed as well as effective instructional strategies, assessment, and identification and placement procedures.
1. Integrate views about the inception of special education and today’s special education policies, context and related exceptionalities .CEC ICC1K1; FEAP 5; NCATE 1.
2. Acquire knowledge about multicultural and diverse exceptional student’s population’s. CEC ICC1 K5; FEAP 3; NCATE 4.
3. Develop an awareness of the process of assessment, eligibility, and placement for special education learners. CEC ICC1K6; FEAP 4.
4. Acquire a background knowledge related to the following exceptionalities: Learning Disabilities, communication Disorders, Intellectual Disabilities, Autism ,Physical Disabilities, Traumatic Brain Injured, Hearing Loss, Visual Impairments and Gifted and
Talented and possible strategies to implement in the classroom. CEC GC6K3, GC7K1, ICC10K2, GC1K1, GC1K5; FEAP 5; NCATE 1, 2, 4.
5. Acquire skills in interacting and meeting the needs of special education students’ families.CECICC1K7; FEAP 6; NCATE 1, 5.